Sunday, April 22, 2007

I was filling up the gas tank yesterday when a bum approached and asked me for spare change. I used my card to buy the gas and didn't have any change so naturally I pretended like I couldn't see or hear him. 1 Would I have given him change had it been convenient? No, of course not. But, it did get me thinking: what will bums do when our society moves to a paperless credit system? The amount of cash the average person carries has gone down over recent years due to increased use of credit and debit cards 2 leaving bums with fewer and fewer business opportunities. This would be like if you sold combs for a living and all the sudden everybody went bald.

1: He was only a foot away so I pulled my shirt over my nose because he smelled bad, thus giving myself away.
2: I have no evidence to back this up, but it seems like it makes sense.

0 comments:

Post a Comment